According to the latest Amex Travel Trendex survey from American Express, there is a list of 10 cities that are top travel destinations for 2023. And for 89% of respondents, going on a trip in 2023 to escape the routine is a serious consideration .
American Express Reveals Top Travel Destinations for 2023
Only two locations in the United States were on the American Express list. The other eight destinations are located in Europe, Latin America and Oceania.
Top 10 destinations
These are the best destinations as well as what American Express travel advisors recommend if you make the trip there.
1. Copenhagen, Denmark: Wander the charming streets of Nørrebro, step into the early 17th century at Rosenborg Castle, and experience the essence of Danish design.
2. Florida Keys: Bustling Duval Street with shops, restaurants, museums and pubs, plus water adventures including a private sunset boat cruise and snorkeling with Florida dolphins.
3. Istanbul, Turkey: A stop at the Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia are some of the must-see destinations, not to mention sampling Baklava, Turkey’s national dish.
4. Lisbon, Portugal: Lisbon is a tourist marvel of historical, cultural and culinary highlights with picturesque monuments.
5. Mexico City, Mexico: From modern to ancient cultural experiences, Mexico City will awaken all of your senses. This includes festivals, bazaars and daily life in the city.
6. Montenegro: From pristine beaches and lakes to centuries-old monasteries set on steep cliffs, Montenegro offers some of the most breathtaking views.
7. Paris, France: From fashion to food, art, architecture and way too many things to list, Paris is one of the most visited cities in the world for a reason. It has everything and a trip wouldn’t do it justice.
8. Sydney, Australia: From the Sydney Opera House to Bondi Beach, Sydney offers fun and cultural attractions as well as world-class dining.
9. Woodstock, Vermont: If you’re looking for a laid-back vacation, Woodstock offers a quiet getaway with scenic adventures and culinary experiences.
10. Yakuve Island, Fiji: Besides lounging on the iconic crystal clear beaches, you can also take a boat trip and snorkel around the reefs and participate in learning about local traditions.
Local experiences also popular
A large majority said they wanted to travel to destinations on their wish list, with 70% agreeing they already had an idea of where they wanted to go next year. Interestingly, 73% said they would spend more on their ideal travel itinerary.
However, it is not just about traveling the world, as 88% of them said they would also like to discover local experiences to have and learn about different cultures while traveling.
American adventure and comfort
On the American Express website, the company explained the popularity of US destinations by stating, “Key West’s top attractions include bustling Duval Street with a host of shops, restaurants, museums and pubs; and of course water adventures including a private boat sunset cruise and snorkeling with Florida dolphins.”
In Woodstock, Vermont, the company added, “Scenic adventures include sampling Vermont cheeses and handmade maple syrup at the Sugarbush family farm, a walk on the new Ottauquechee River Trail, a comforting meal at Worthy Kitchen where guests are treated like friends and indulging in the spa at the Woodstock Inn & Resort.”
Popular destinations around the world
Major destinations around the world include some well-known travel hotspots such as Paris in France and Lisbon in Portugal. Other European destinations on the list include Copenhagen in Denmark and Montenegro, as well as the city of Istanbul in Turkey, which straddles Europe and Asia.
Receive the latest headlines from Small Business Trends. Follow us on Google News.