Chris Eubank Jr reveals he was NOT told about Conor Benn’s failed first drug test

Chris Eubank Jr reveals he was NOT told about Conor Benn’s failed first drug test…and claims he ‘wouldn’t have taken the fight’ in the first place if he had known his rival had tested positive earlier

  • Conor Benn failed two drug tests before his fight with Chris Eubank Jr
  • The fight was called off and Eubank Jr has now said he was not told about the failed first test.
  • Eubank Jr claimed he wouldn’t have signed for the fight had he known of Benn’s first positive test

Chris Eubank Jr has claimed he was not made aware of Conor Benn’s failed first drug test and only found out that his rival provided an abnormal result after his second positive test.

Eubank Jr and Benn were due to face off in a grudge match last month, but the bout was halted two days prior when Benn tested positive for the banned substance clomiphene.

Benn then revealed he tested positive for the same substance in July, but Eubank Jr insisted he was not told.

Chris Eubank Jr’s fight with Conor Benn called off after the latter failed two drug tests

Eubank Jr claimed he was not told about Benn's failed first test earlier this year

Eubank Jr claimed he was not told about Benn’s failed first test earlier this year

“I wouldn’t have accepted the fight in August if I had known he had already failed a test,” Eubank Jr told Sky Sports. “By the time I found out, it was too late.”

Eubank Jr’s version of events differs from those coming out of Benn’s camp, with promoter Eddie Hearn assuring fans following the canceled fight that Eubank Jr and all parties involved were kept informed throughout.

Speaking to talkSPORT last month, Hearn said: “First of all, nothing has been kept quiet. That’s a really important fact. People feel like it’s been swept under the rug.

“But, the British boxing board of control, which is our governing body and the regulators – who decide whether a fight will go ahead or not – knew all the information at all points.

Eddie Hearn has claimed Eubank Jr was made aware of Benn's failed tests, but Eubank Jr has now disputed that

Eddie Hearn has claimed Eubank Jr was made aware of Benn’s failed tests, but Eubank Jr has now disputed that

“It is ultimately up to the British Boxing Board of Control to sanction the fight. Chris Eubank and Wasserman came back and said, based on the information we received around the test, that we are happy to continue the fight.

Benn is now trying to clear his name, having maintained his innocence since the positive tests became public.

Meanwhile, Eubank Jr has moved on for the time being and is set to return to the ring to face National Enemy Liam Smith on January 21.

He admitted he was still interested in finally settling the score with Benn in the future, but would only take the fight if his rival tested clean and was ready to move up to middleweight.

Eubank Jr will return to the ring in January to fight national rival Liam Smith

Eubank Jr will return to the ring in January to fight national rival Liam Smith

Leave a Comment