Josh “The Leeds Warrior” Warrington loses to Luis “El Venado” Alberto Lopez!

By Ken Hissner: At the First Direct Arena, Leeds, Yorkshire, UK, Saturday on DAZN by Eddie Hearn (Matchroom Boxing) featuring in the Main Event IBF featherweight champion Josh ‘The Leeds Warrior’ Warrington lost his title by majority decision to Luis “El Venado” Alberto Lopez over 12 action-packed rounds.

In the co-feature, IBF Bantamweight World Champion Ebanie Bridges defeated Shannon “Shotgun” O’Connell by stoppage in 8 rounds of a war.

In the Main Event, IBF Feather Champion Josh ‘The Leeds Warrior’ Warrington, 31-2 (8), #124 ¼, of Leeds, Yorkshire, UK, lost by majority decision and his title to Luis “El Venado Alberto Lopez, 27-2 (15), #124 ½, of Mexicali, Baja California, MEX, over 12 rounds of action.

In the first four rounds, the action was furious, back and forth with Lopez suffering a cut to her left eyebrow from a clash of heads.

Lopez held on as Warrington worked the body from fifth to seventh. In the eighth, Warrington suffered a bloody nose and Lopez a cut to his left eyebrow in the second after a clash of heads.

Youtube video

In the ninth, a low blow from Warrington gave Lopez a 5 minute rest.

In the eleventh, in as close a fight as possible, Warrington met blow for blow, hurting Lopez in the closing seconds.

In the twelfth and final round, it looked like Warrington may have had it in the final four rounds as both fighters fought hard and both hands high after the final bell. The referee was Bob Williams.

The scores were 114-114 and 115-113 twice this writer had it 114-114.

Co-feature IBF World Bantam champion Ebanie “The Blonde Bomber” Bridges, 9-1 (4), #117 ¾, of New South Wales, Australia, in a stopped war Shannon “Shotgun” O’Connell, 23 -7-1 (11), #117 ¼, of Slacks Creek, Queensland, Australia, at 1:45 of round eight of a 10×2 scoring knockdown.

During the first two rounds, Bridges continued to push forward throwing punches, but O’Connell responded punch for punch having an advantage. In round three, O’Connell landed a right but was countered by a right bridge to the chin, and down she went for an 8 count from referee Howard Foster. She got up, fighting back well, but more powerful than the bell.

In round four, a right from Bridges to the chin almost dropped O’Connell again midway through the round but fought back as best she could without giving up in her. In the fifth round, Bridges continued to throw bombs but took some from an O’Connell match.

In round six, the war continued blow for blow as champion Bridges kept up the pressure but was met with a return shot. In the seventh round, Bridges continued the assault by closing O’Connell’s left eye.

In the eighth round, Bridges pushed O’Connell into the ropes with four unanswered punches to his feet, forcing referee Foster to stop. Manager Brian Cohen entered the ring lifting his champion in victory.

In his first defense, WBA Continental Super Welter champion JJ (James) Metcalf, 24-2 (15), #153 ½, of Liverpool, Merseyside, UK, stopped Courtney Pennington, 16-6-3 (7) , #153, ​​of Brooklyn, NY, at the end of the sixth of a scheduled 10.

Through the first four rounds, Metcalf dominated a reluctant defensive-minded Pennington. In the sixth round, Metcalf punished Pennington from bell to bell.

At the end of the sixth round, referee Howard Foster was told by Pennington’s corner that their boxer could not continue.

Super Middle Felix Cash, 15-0 (10), #166, of Wokingham, Berkshire, UK, Celso “El Fenomeno” Neves, 9-2-2 (2), #166, of Basel, SWZ, eight rounds .

In the first two rounds, Cash dominated with nonstop punches. In round three, the two blended well, with Cash suffering from a bloody nose. In round six, Neves completed his fastest lap pressing Cash throughout.

In round seven, Cash seemed to slow down. In the eighth and last round last twenty seconds, a right from Neves on the left eyebrow of Cash opened a cut. The referee was John Latham, who scored 77-75, as did the writer.

Super Bantam southpaw ‘Drago’ Hopey Price, 9-0 (3), #123, of Leeds, Yorkshire, UK, beat Jonathan ‘Nano’ Santana, 9-4-1 (1), #123 ½, of Las Palmas, Islas Canarias, SP, over 8 laps.

In the first two rounds, southpaw Price gave Santana a lesson in boxing. In the third round, last minute, Price landed a left into the midsection and Santana went down for an 8 count from referee John Latham.

In rounds four through six, Santana attempted to land Price to no avail.

In the seventh round, Price knocked Santana down and hit him in the head, earning a warning from referee Latham. In the eighth and final round, Price started with a 3 punch combination to Santana’s chin.

Midway through the round, a right hook from Price to the chin knocked Santana out. Price packed well, winning every round.

Referee John Latham scored 80-72. This writer had it 80-71.

Lightweight left-hander Rhiannon Dixon, 6-0 (0), #134 ½, from Warrington, UK, Kristine “The Rattler” Shergold, 7-6-1 (1), #134 ¼, from Exeter, UK , 8 × 2 rounds .

In the first three southpaw rounds, Dixon countered well as Shergold continued to drive forward. In round five, a clash of heads resulted in a cut to Shergold’s left eyebrow and a slightly bloody nose for Dixon.

On the eighth and final lap, Shergold attempted to brutalize Dixon, but the latter managed to escape his grasp.

Score 80-73 by referee John Lathan, as do the writers.

Super Welter left handed 2x National Amateur champion Junaid Bostan, 4-0 (4), #155 ½, of Rotherham, Yorkshire, UK, stopped Athanasios Glynos, 2-2 (1), #155 ½, of Athens, GR , 0:46 (box rec shown 0:37 but announced at 0:46) of the fifth round of a scheduled 6.

In the first round, Bostan was cautioned by referee Howard Foster for putting Glynos in a headlock mid-round. In the final minute, Bostan landed two distinct header rights to the chin of southpaw Glynos.

A left uppercut in the closing seconds of Boston’s round to the chin rocked Glynos, then Bostan showed his hands at his side until the bell.

In round three, Bostan went southpaw with less success against southpaw Glynos, who put his left to Bostan’s chin. Although he didn’t win the round, it was close.

In the fifth round, a left-hand lead from Bostan’s southpaw on the chin and down went to Glymos, which forced referee Howard Foster to call it off immediately.

Returning after 14 months out of action, former Bantam world champion now featherweight Shannon “The Baby Face Assassin” Courtenay, 8-2(3), #124 ½, of Watford, UK, defeated Gemma “The Rebel” Ruegg, 5-6(1), #124 ½, from Bournemouth, UK, on ​​8×2 rounds.

In round one, a solid right from Courtenay to the chin knocked Ruegg out midway through the round. In round four, Courtenay landed a lead directly to Ruegg’s chin, knocking his head back a bit.

In round six, Ruegg came back well enough to win the round. In round seven, Courtenay rocked Ruegg in the final seconds of the round with a right to Ruegg’s chin. In the eighth and final lap, both had their moments until the bell.

Referee John Latham’s score was 77-75. This writer scored it 79-73.

Super Bantam Koby ‘Leeds Pocket Rocket’ McNamara, 4-0 (0), #120, of Leeds, beat “Batley Bulldog” Nabal Ahmed, 1-13-2 (0), #120, of Batley, Yorkshire, more of 4 Sleeves.

In the first two rounds, McNamara’s hand speed dominated Ahmed. In the fourth and final round, Ahmed was swinging wildly, knowing he needed a knockout, but was walking into McNamara’s lefts.
Referee Howard Foster scored 40-37. This writer 40-36.

Super lightweight southpaw Cory O’Regan, 9-0 (1), #136 ½, of Heckmondwicke, Yorkshire, UK, stopped Antonio “Chiky” Rodriguez, 7-28 (8), #136 ½, of Madrid, SP, at 2:03 of the fourth round.

In the second round, O’Regan landed more than a dozen unanswered punches from Rodriguez, with referee Howard Foster possibly looking to stop the fight.

In the fourth round, O’Regan landed over a dozen unanswered punches, Rodriguez against the ropes and helpless, which forced referee Foster to stop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *